Document Type : Case report
Resident, Department of Oral & Maxillofacial Clinical Sciences, Faculty of Dentistry, University Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Lecturer, Department of Paediatrics, Faculty of Medicine, University Malaya, 50603 Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.
Vacuum assisted delivery might not be the first-choice route for delivery but remains a viable option when shortening of the second stage of labour is needed. Incorrect placement of the vacuum device, incorrect technique, prolonged use, and multiple attempts often lead to subgaleal haemorrhage, which is a collection of blood in the space underneath the galea aponeurotica. Here we would like to report a case of an infant that was delivered via vacuum assisted delivery after multiple attempts. The unfortunate infant suffered from subgaleal haemorrhage and was promptly assessed and treated. After spending 1 week in our center, he was allowed to be discharged home, with subsequent follow-up showing remarkable improvement. We would like to emphasize on the importance of this case because even though it does not occur very frequently, the consequences can be fatal if the condition is not identified and treated early.
- Åberg K. Neonatal complications following birth by vacuum extraction. Inst för kvinnors och barns hälsa/Dept of Women’s and Children’s Health. 2017; 978-991.
- O’Grady JP, Giordano K, Bayer-Zwirello LA, Gimovsky ML, eds. A History: Operative Delivery. In: Operative Obstetrics. 2nded. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press 2008; 1-21.
- Miksovsky P, Watson WJ. Obstetric vacuum extraction: state of the art in the new millennium. Obstetrical & gynecological survey. 2001; 56:736-751.
- Amar AP, Aryan HE, Meltzer HS, Levy ML. Neonatal subgaleal hematoma causing brain compression: report of two cases and review of the literature. Neurosurgery. 2003; 52:1470- 1474.
- Fakih HM. Spontaneous Neonatal Subgaleal Hematomas after Caesarian Section. JCR. 2014; 4:359-362.
- ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 154: Operative Vaginal Delivery. Obstetrics and gynecology. 2015;126(5):e56-65.
- Rosenberg AA. Traumatic birth injury. Neoreviews. 2003;4:e270-e276.
- Cavlovich FE. Subgaleal hemorrhage in the neonate. J Obstet Gynecol Neonatal Nurs. 1995;24(5):397-404.
- Vacca A. Vacuum-Assisted Delivery-Improving patient outcomes and protecting a report from the children’s oncology group. J Clin Oncol. 2012;30:1663-1669.
- Reid J. Neonatal subgaleal hemorrhage. Neonatal Netw. 2007;26:219-227.